Hey-ho! Autumn 2011 C:F Competitions are here! With this competition, we challenge you to share your vision on what kind of disasters we might face in the next decades and how to protect, respond or adapt to future circumstances.
Floods, earthquakes, bomb attacks, devastating fires, draught, extreme weather, climate change, economic collapses, these are just few of the disasters in the 21st Century. We are living in the time of increasing frequency and severity of various disasters caused by nature, technology or human. How are we going to respond?
In partnership with insurance company Zavarovalnica Triglav, we challenge you:
a) to envision and describe potential disaster that we can face in the next 20 years so that we become aware and clear of what is a possible scenario we need to be prepared for
b) to create your solution either:
•for disaster prevention,
•disaster preparedness and disaster response,
•adaptation to new circumstances.
Prepare a max 10-slide presentation giving us a clear image about a disaster that might happen and a solution related to the prevention, preparedness, response or adaptation to it that could be applicable either for individuals, businesses, communities, countries, regions or for the whole world. Your ideas can derive from existing disasters (tsunami, floods, earthquakes, bomb attacks etc.) or your imagination and vision of the future (e.g. alien attacks ?).
Envision disaster and present it as clearly as possible (max 3 slides)
1. Which disaster will we be facing? Why have you selected this one?
2. What is the actual problem of selected disaster, do we have any history of it already ?
3. When and under which circumstances do you expect that the disaster might occur?
Present your idea (max 4 slides)
1. What is your idea and is it related to prevention, preparedness, response or adaptation of selected disaster?
2. How would your solution work? What is the plan?
3. How is your solution relevant and effective?
4. Why is your idea innovative? Are there any similar projects/ideas already on local or global level? Please describe.
Present us potential impact (achievements, results) of your idea (max 2 slides)
1. Present the goals and targets that you are trying to achieve with your solution.
2. What positive impact are you expecting from your solution?
3. What are your arguments to demonstrate that your idea will work in real life?
Prepare the front slide (1st slide)
The front slide should contain:
•The name of the solution:
•Area: disaster prevention, preparedness, response or adaptation
•Your name, school (if applicable), country
You are welcome to add any photo, scheme, design, or slide style that you wish. Be creative!
Submissions: 22 Sep - 30 Nov 2011, 5PM CET
Community Voting: 21 Nov - 30 Nov 2011, 5PM CET
Expert Judging: 30 Nov - 14 Dec 2011
Winners announced 20 Dec 2011, 2 PM
1. C:F community will vote for your presentation with “thumbs up” from 21 November 2011 – 30 November 2011 and will be able to post comments.
2. Youth Judges and community will select 20 Super-Finalists, top 3 by community votes and 17 chosen by the Youth Judges.
3. The Judging Panel will select 3 winners among the 20 Super-Finalists. The Judges will be particularly looking for the following:
a) Quality of the submission – presents most important factors, demonstrates clear structure, showcases depth of thinking and understanding
b) Creativity and originality – does your submission showcase originality in your own thinking and unique approach to answering the related challenges?
c) Usefulness – the ‘so what?’ factor – do your insights offer meaningful contribution to a secured future and could be useful for their development and thinking?
TOP three (3) ideas will be awarded with fully paid scholarship to attend C:F Academy and Summit 2012. The estimated amount of scholarship is 2.500 EUR (covering travel costs from your international airport, accommodation, meals and program.)
Speaking opportunities at prominent events: all three winners will get the chance to present his/her idea in front of all C:F Academy attendees. In addition, one among the winners will have a speaking opportunity at the C:F Summit public conference “Towards Smart, Sustainable and Inclusive Future” alongside prominent experts and business leaders. That’s not all; one among the winners might be selected to speak at TEDxChange in Ljubljana in 2012.
Sparks! Each winner will get 1000 Sparks. Early submissions until 16 October will each receive additional 200 Sparks. Be the Sparks Winner and get a full paid scholarship at the C:F Academy and Summit 2012!
C:F members 18-30 years old. Student status is not required.
Re-submission of corrected solution, taking into account community comments and suggestions, is possible until voting starts. Contact us at the Helpdesk!
1. Intricate Economics of Terrorism
2. Navigating our Global Future
3. Surviving a Nuclear Attach
4. Counts Down to Armageddon
5. An amazing speech by Charlie Chaplin!
1. Inside Terrorism
2. Merchants of Doubt
3. Science and Politics of Global Climate Change
4. Why we disagree about Climate Change
challengefuture takes a serious view on plagiarism. If your submission has content copied from external resources without proper referencing, your submission will be immediately removed and your educational institute or associated organization will be informed.
We highly encourage and support all C:F members to practice proper credit and references to all your submitted work in Quick Challenges, StormIts or the Main Competition. We advice you to look through the following resources and understand them before submitting any future work on Challenge:Future and even in your educational and professional submissions:
1. How not to plagiarize by University of Toronto
2. Avoid Plagiarism by University of New South Wales
3. Advice for Student - How not to Plagiarize by Lifehack
4. Check your work - Free Plagiarism detection tool
5. How to do a proper referencing - by University of Exeter
6. Various style of bibliography
30th November, 2011
20th December 2011
• 3 x CF Academy
•1 x C:F Summit 2012 public conference “Towards Smart, Sustainable and Inclusive Future”
• 1 x TEDxChange in Ljubljana in 2012