Your RJ Jats is back with special inputs from 8 countries of South Asia on the topic of Peace. Start your favorite playlist and listen to my article with your eyes.
I have never been this close to this word "peace" before the SAARC Leaders gathering during May 2011, where for 6 special days everyone shared what they were feeling in real instead of typical formal conference. This is the only conference where I started with blazer and ended up with 3 sleepless nights and track shoot with tears in eyes when leaving.
We were all divided into families for all 6 days and allow me to introduce my family: Saurabh Kumar (India), Bharat Edara (India), Ayesha Ilyas (Pakistan), Hussain Mohamed Haneef (Maldives), Lima Ahmad (Afghanistan), Mohamed Husni (Sri Lanka), Anu Joshy (India), Dr Anand (India) - our family leader Mirat Trivedi and me.
We dwelled upon the topic of Peace on 3 different levels: Peace Within, Peace with others & Peace with environment. Now, I would like to share with you the analysis of our family’s outcome on Peace Within.
After analyzing and listing almost 20 issues and priority areas for peace within, we came up with the following top 3 issues/priorities, messages for larger groups and actions steps for following those priorities:
1. Top 3 issues and priority areas for Peace Within a. Contentment
c. Self – respect
2. Top 3 message for larger group
a. (For contentment): You can never have it enough. Contentment is a state of mind. The rich and poor of the world both need this state of mind to achieve peace within and then with others, in the context of their environment. b. (Security): Security is of different types – Physical, Emotional and Economical. Uncertainty and Insecurity cannot be wished away. Security within gives us the chance to focus on achievements bigger than ourselves.
c. (Self-respect): Respect is what we earn after what we do, and self-respect means you are being honest to yourself and earn respect for yourself from within, feeling positive about yourself and not feeling guilty for what you do. If you respect yourself then people will respect you.
3. Action steps that the team suggests for following 3 areas
Action for contentment: Transaction Analysis of daily events & following criteria • What was right / wrong today? - Who / what was the reason?
• Over a week or month, one will start getting a picture of what behavior should be reinforced.
• Jot down Your strengths, weakness - What triggered the happy / bad event?
Action for security: Identify 3 of your discomfort zones that hinder you from being productive – Productive can be anything from work or something that one loves to do.
• List of activities that one is afraid of or uncomfortable to carry out
• Action plan to consciously complete those activities on a monthly basis
- Eg: Talking to a stranger every day on the bus or on the train. - Eg: Compliment someone every day
• At the end of ‘x’ months the size of your discomfort zone should decrease.
Action for self respect:
• Make a list of the people to whom you wanted to apologize, Go and say Sorry
• To confess those things for which we feel guilty
• Start telling your every morning “I AM THE BEST” and feel it in real. • Be truthful to yourself & don’t lie in front of mirror
RJ Jats is now signing off with his original quote: "Life comes once, keep it simple and only do those things which make you happy."
Share what you feel after reading this article and share your stories! Your words are not comments but stories for all of us!