Multi channel inbound marketing

Solid Waste Management

by Danna Joyce Chavez on 15th September, 2011 at 9:15 AM CEST

Much has been said and written about our fight against the worsening problem of pollution. Seminars, fora and conferences are being conducted all around the globe to discuss ways of solving our problem on waste management. For how long should we suffer the consequences of our irresponsible actions? We are running out of time. WE need to act NOW.

An average person produces at least 1 kilogram of waste a day. Our solid waste is the one contributing much to the pollution. Just imagine how much waste we put into our environment. In a larger scale, 73% of all our daily solid waste is being collected by dump trucks while the remaining 27% goes to our backyard, canals, vacant spaces, street corners, market places, rivers and other places where, ironically, there’s a “don’t throw your garbage here” sign.

The rate of solid waste we produce will increase rapidly, and soon, we will find ourselves buried in our own waste. Let us not wait for it to happen. Solid waste management is as easy as segregating our waste – biodegradable, non-biodegradable and recyclable. Biodegradable wastes are those that decompose, like food scraps and dried leaves, and can be made into a compost pit for our gardens. Non-biodegradable waste cannot be broken down by living organisms. Examples of this kind of waste are candy wrappers, plastic bottles, and soda cans which usually end up in our dump sites. Recyclable wastes are materials, such as batteries and aluminum cans, which can still be processed and made into new items. Proper segregation and disposal can help in building a cleaner and better environment.


Image by Danna

The principle of the “Triple R” is very popular. We have known this for such a long time but we usually forget to act on it. We are responsible for our own waste. Therefore, we should properly manage the waste we produce. We do not want to end up living in a dumpsite-like world. We must reduce the waste we produce per day. Instead of using a plastic bag for your groceries, let us use eco-friendly shopping bags or paper bags. Learning to reuse the things we have will not only help us save mother earth, it could also help us save a lot of money because we would not need to buy new items. Lastly, recycling our waste, such as aluminum cans and plastic bottles can be sold to plants that turn them into other useful materials. In addition to this principle, Rethinking all our actions would allow us to change our mindsets and be more responsible citizens in the future.

Health is a basic human right. We all deserve to live in a cleaner environment: desire for a healthy family, a healthy neighborhood, a healthy nation. And, the only way to satisfy these desires is to have a clean environment and all of these should start with us.


Have a great day!:)
-Danna and Action Team #6

Please log in or register to post a comment.

KEDEI INAH

KEDEI INAH

nice Danna, for this kind of knowledge about sharing of a proper waste diposal.

15th September, 2011 @ 9:48 AM CEST

Stefan Alievikj

Stefan Alievikj | C:F staff

RETHINK!!! :)) that's it

15th September, 2011 @ 5:53 PM CEST

Jovana Djurkovic

Jovana Djurkovic | Action team | CF Chapters

congrats for the first article ;) nice image btw... and of course burning topic. Well done :)

15th September, 2011 @ 8:28 PM CEST

Muhammad Jehangir Khan

Muhammad Jehangir Khan | Action team | CF Chapters

nice to see the intiative taken by danna... :)
recyleee nananaananan ;) :D hahahahaha....

but seriously its a good article and you have presented something worth... alot has been written already on this title... but you wrote something unique... and good... :)

Like it :)

15th September, 2011 @ 10:23 PM CEST

TITILAYO IJAGBEMI

TITILAYO IJAGBEMI | Action team

Great Job Danna. I think what most people don't have is time and not that they don't have this time (since all human is entitle to 24hrs each) but they don't know how to put it to use. If people take time out to check the dump around them, they will be amazed to discover lots of useful things. Nice article. its quite unique.

21st September, 2011 @ 1:33 PM CEST

twitter
AddThis
Bookmark and Share
global youth think tank & student competition